Thursday, February 5, 2009

Welcome


Hello and welcome to my blog.

I have been meaning to write down my thoughts and experiences for some time but have been too lazy to actual get around to doing it. I have some memorable experiences which I hope you find as amusing as I do.

Well anyway, let me introduce myself. I am a qualified veterinarian. I now have the pleasure of only dealing with small animals.

I have worked with large animals before but got fed up by going to farms in the middle of the night and regularly getting splattered in sloppy faeces (and yes I have put my arm - and only my arm! - into the backside of a cow and in the middle of winter - quite a warm leather glove!). Also I no longer have to listen to nonsense about horses - pretending I have some idea about what on earth their owners are talking about (hands?? 14hh -isn't that a huge breast size?).

Anyway, most my days, I deal with dogs, cats and small furry animals. I see a few birds (both feathered and the human type) and the odd reptile (mostly tortoises and terrapins). I see a lot of amusing people who keep me entertained throughout the day.

To protect both myself and others, the characters mentioned will be given new identities. I suspect that I may have a lot of time to write over the next year - with the credit crunch, I suspect quite a few people may lose their job and can't afford to bring their pets to the vet.

So let me get the usual conversation out of the way:
Isn't the veterinary course 7 years? No normally 5 years (or 35 in dog years!)
Do you have to stick you arm up a cow's backside? Yes (answered already).
Isn't being a vet harder than being a doctor? Animals don't speak and we deal with more than one species - you decide.
Are you a vegetarian? Yes, not because I love animals but because I hate plants.
I always wanted to be a vet but didn't get the grades. Oh well, thanks for sharing that with me.
Why are vets so expensive? Veterinary course and drugs are expensive. There is generally a shortage of vets. The veterinary business isn't actually very profitable and the profession has a high rate of suicide.

Well, that's it for today. I look forward to updating the blog soon.

2 comments:

  1. Why have you stopped blogging? I was loving your articles until I realized they are from so long ago! =C

    ReplyDelete